Faculty leaving the college should be aware of their rights and benefits. We therefore recommend that faculty leaving the college review the below information before the end of their appointment.
For Emeritus faculty, please also consult the Information for Retired Faculty page.
- Faculty leaving the college are encouraged to contact Human Resources to discuss relevant decisions and information to consider.
- Most benefits end at the end of the last month of an appointment.
- COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) is a federally mandated program providing benefit continuation.
- COBRA election forms will be mailed to you.
- You have 60 days from your last of work to elect COBRA.
- The cost of COBRA is the full premium of a faculty member’s plan; you will no longer receive the college contribution.
- EAP services (e4Health) are available to faculty for three months after separation.
- For those with college mortgages, please note that mortgage balances come due upon departure.
End of Appointment Checklist
- Keys (building, office, etc.) should be returned to the Lock Shop in facilities.
- Please return ID card (access cards), Williams College purchasing or credit cards (check for personal charges on credit cards), library materials, and any other college owned property.
- Please return all computer equipment (laptop and/or iPad, Flash drives, external harddrives, and other computer equipment) to OIT.
- The Records Management Program assists individuals in managing records to meet the administrative, financial, legal, and historical needs of Williams. Please retain any committee reports or other records that might assist the work of the Records Management Program. Section II-X of the Faculty Handbook discusses pertinent records. Additionally, in 2016, the Williams College Board of Trustees passed a Policy Regarding the Management of College Records that can provide guidance on record retention and appropriate methods of record destruction.
- Please contact the college archivist if you are interested in donating any of your college related records, notes, or historical documents to the college archives.
- If you do have records that need to be retained, please review the Committees of Williams and Record Retention as well as information on transferring information to the records manager via Google Drive.
- If you have any questions, please reach out to the records manager directly at [email protected] .
- Please contact your department/program administrative assistant regarding your plans to vacate your office. Faculty departing at the conclusion of the fall semester should plan to leave their office by December 23. Those faculty departing at the conclusion of the academic year should vacate their office by the third Friday in June.
- Please also settle any financial accounts i.e., p card charges and reconciliations, faculty club charges.
- Unless retiring with Emeritus status, you will lose access to your Williams email 150 days after your appointment ends.
- You may want to consider informing personal contacts of your new email address.
- Additional guidance can be found at: http://oit.williams.edu/help-docs/savingmigrating-email-and-docs-when-leaving-williams/ or please contact [email protected]
- Ensure ownership of all documents and spreadsheets on your Google Drive is transferred, if needed. Placing files in a shared Drive folder is not sufficient.
- Remove all personal files from computer and network drives.
- Additional guidance can be found at: https://oit.williams.edu/help-guides/accounts/exiting-employee-techlist/ or please contact [email protected]
- Departing faculty should update their contact phone number and email address
- Please keep Human Resources informed about any address changes in order for us to send your W-2 tax form.