December 8, 2017
The National Science Foundation has announced the release of its new Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG). The new PAPPG will be effective for proposals submitted, or due, on or after January 29, 2018.
Significant changes include:
- The addition of a new eligibility subcategory on international branch campuses of U.S. Institutions of Higher Education;
- A revision of eligibility standards for foreign organizations;
- Implementation of the standard Collaborators and Other Affiliations (COA) template that has been in pilot phase since April;
- An increase in the Budget Justification page limitation from three pages to five pages;
- Restructuring of coverage on grantee notifications to and requests for approval from NSF, including referral to the Prior Approval Matrix available on the NSF website; and
- Numerous clarifications and other changes throughout the document.
While the new version of the PAPPG becomes effective on January 29, 2018, in the interim, the guidelines contained in the current PAPPG (NSF 17-1) continue to apply. The current version of the PAPPG will remain on the NSF website, with a notation to proposers that specifies when the new PAPPG (including a link to the new Guide) will become effective.