As chair of a unit, you will likely find yourself in the position of overseeing a variety of major projects. Some of these tasks may be of the sort that occur with some regularity in your unit and will therefore be somewhat familiar to you or others in your unit (evaluation of untenured faculty , preparation of yearly staffing reports, or perhaps running a hiring search for instance.)
Other tasks may be projects that occur less frequently (preparation of a self-study in anticipation of an external review, or reshaping of your unit’s overall curricular structure for instance), for which your unit may have less experience to draw on.
Be sure that you understand the time frame and any deadlines associated with the particular projects, and that you think carefully about the range of groups and constituencies that will need to contribute in some way.
Additional information regarding particular kinds of major projects (including some timing concerns) can be found at the links below:
- Spring staffing memo (Part 1): still to come
- Fall staffing memo (Part 2): deadlines, instructions, overview, forms
- Annual budget: Budget info details and FY16 budget memo. You are encouraged to work with John Gerry, Kristan Renish, Christina Gregory, or Todd Hoffman as you work out the details of your budgets.
- Faculty hiring: general guidelines can be found here and here
- Annual staff evaluations
- Self-study and external review process